Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Matching Up: Using an Old Pattern (and modifying it)


My roommate recently showed me knitted slippers his mother used to make for him. He spoke of them fondly, but said that all the ones she had made were becoming too fragile to wear. Since she's no longer alive, asking her to knit up another pair wasn't an option.

The pattern didn't appear to be complicated by looking at the slippers. But because they had been washed and worn so much (they were acrylic), it was difficult to see where the pattern began and where it ended. It looked like there may have been sewn up seams, but maybe not. I put the deconstruction and reconstruction on the back shelf of my mind and saved it for a day when I was up for a new challenge.

Recently I was looking through some of his mother's old knitting materials and found a Learn to Knit pamphlet. The publication date was 1963 and it was filled with pictures of how to create basic knit and purl stitches, casting on, binding off, etc. In the back there were several patterns pictured. One of them was his mother's slippers!

It took me a while to find gauge as the yarn in the pattern is no longer produced, and I couldn't find any information on it online. In his mother's example, I was able to determine that it looked like she knitted with two strands of worsted yarn. The pattern asked for a size 11 needle with 3st / in, 6 row/ in in garter stitch for gauge. It got gauge right away and started knitting.

Before long, I realized the pattern was written for a very small foot. In fact, it was written for a toddler's slipper. There was a huge difference in size between my finished slipper and the slippers his mother had knitted for him and his father. The pattern didn't indicate a size for the slipper, but I started to think that the pattern was dated right around when my roommate was born. What probably happened was that his mother knitted the slippers for a small child, and then added stitches a few at a time as he grew.

Using my gauge and measuring his mother's original, I figured out how many stitches needed to be knit across the bottom of the foot and started to knit.

I've just started, so there aren't any results so far, but when he saw what I was doing, he said, "That's exactly what they used to look like when she was working on them!" I think I'm on the right track, but the verdict is still out.

Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Kyle William said...

how sweet of you to do this for your roommate - I remember some knitted things that my grandmother made for me (actually both grandmothers) - and I miss those things... it's nice that you are carrying on the tradition, as it were, and that your roommate can save his mom's slippers for special occasions instead of wearing them every day....

:)